What is Social Wellness?
Before you can improve your social wellness, it’s important to understand exactly what social wellness is. It’s your ability to connect and maintain strong relationships in your life.
It refers to the relationships we have and how we interact with others. Especially those meaningful relationships that can offer support during difficult times.
How do you achieve Social Wellness?
It can be achieved by surrounding yourself with positive people and being comfortable with who you are in social environments.
It involves the building of healthy, nurturing, and supportive relationships. Ones that foster genuine connections with those around you. For this reason, it takes mindful actions on your part to balance your social, academic, and professional life.
Additionally, social wellness includes balancing the unique needs of romantic relationships with other parts of your life. It’s like juggling all of life’s balls while balancing on a tightwire. Not easy but very necessary.
Why is Social Wellness Important?
First off, building and maintaining relationships with others helps maintain both your mental and physical health. For example, if you are going through a tough time and need someone to lean on, having a strong social network can help you heal.
On the other hand, if you are looking to improve your workout routine and need someone to keep you accountable, having a social workout buddy will help keep you motivated.
Also, it is just as important to have strong social wellness connections with your co-workers. How well employees get along with their co-workers can be critical to retention. If an employee doesn’t feel comfortable at work, they are less likely to stay.
Is social media good for my Social Wellness? While social media has given the world an outlet to easily share information online, having the ability to communicate face-to-face is far more powerful.
Doing so allows you to establish genuine, deep connections that can last a lifetime.
Lastly, social wellness is important because it allows you to get involved in your community. This helps you grow as a person and get to know those that live around you. It allows you to learn about their diverse backgrounds, ideas, and ways of life.
How to Improve your Social Wellness
- Having good social wellness is critical to building emotional resilience. The ability to handle, overcome and/or work through emotional hardship.
- Have a supportive social network allows you to develop assertive skills and become comfortable with who you are in social situations.
- Next, surrounding yourself with a positive social network increases your self-esteem. It enables you to create boundaries that encourage communication, trust, and conflict management.
- Also, maintaining social wellness allows you to practice empathy and active listening. Both of which we know are admirable traits to have and practice.
Your Journey to Social Wellness
As you begin your journey to social wellness, you will discover that you have the power to positively enhance your relationships along the way.
With this in mind, here are some suggestions on how to start your journey.
- Reflect on yourself and your social needs. What aspects of your social life do you enjoy? What parts do you need to improve?
- Make an effort to keep in touch with supportive friends and family and avoid all others.
- Practice self-disclosure by revealing information about yourself to others.
- Participate in group discussions and practice active listening to grow your social network.
- Join a club or organization. Share something with other people that is meaningful to both of you.
- Enroll in group fitness classes. Join others for group fitness classes or club sports and leagues.
- Attend social events or gatherings. Find unique opportunities and events that may might not normally join in on.
Everyday Thoughts and Practices
First, begin every day with a smile, an 8oz glass of water, stretching, and a 10-minute walk. Add 5 minutes until you reach at least 20 minutes before breakfast.
Next, fuel your brain and body. Have a nutritious breakfast every day.
Be conscious of your posture. Sit and stand tall and proud.
Stand, stretch and take a short walk often throughout your day. This will help clear your mind and make room for fresh thoughts.
Last but not least, avoid sugary drinks and fast foods and read food labels. Why? Because it is important to know what you are consuming.
So, whether you are just starting your journey to social wellness, or you’re already there take the time to embrace who you are and those you have in your life. Doing so will provide you with a socially rewarding life.
Did you like this post? If you said yes, you would really enjoy our post titled, Manifesting Your Best Life. Check it out