Commercial grades of stretch wrap are applied mechanically in thin layers to your product by wrapping layers of film from bottom-to-top of your product and repeats with as many revolutions as required to protect and secure products. As long as your product can fit onto the stretch wrapping machine they can be wrapped and protected, even the bulkiest products, without any issue.
Stretch Wrapping Services in Ontario
Wills Transfer offers quality Stretch Wrapping Services for businesses in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Western Quebec, and the U.S. Eastern Seaboard.
If you’re looking for a high-quality service from a business with over 75 years of experience, look no further than Wills Transfer to provide you with stretch wrapping services in Eastern Ontario.
Our dedicated team will work with you to develop the perfect stretch wrap packaging service for your business. We can determine the type of stretch wrap that is best suited to your product and add top and bottom sheets for extra coverage. Your products will then be completely wrapped and ready for storage or your supply chain.
What is Stretch Wrapping?
Stretch wrapping is the process of packaging (an article) by enclosing it in clinging transparent plastic film that shrinks tightly onto it through the use of controlled tension.
This type of packaging method is utilized by many companies to help them ship products over long distances while also maintaining the integrity of the product. Stretch wrapping is an affordable way to package and protect your products while taking up less space than other traditional methods.
Are there different types of Stretch Wrap?
Several types of stretch wrap are available, each with its own characteristics and applications. The two most commonly used types are cast stretch wrap and blown stretch wrap. Here’s a brief overview of each type:
- Cast Stretch Wrap: Also known as cast film, it is manufactured using a cast extrusion process. Cast stretch wrap offers the following advantages:
- Excellent clarity, allowing users to see wrapped products.
- Requires less force to stretch.
- Increased tear resistance.
- Unwinds quietly from machines.
- Offers superior cling.
However, it has some disadvantages compared to blown stretch wrap:
- Does not offer the same load/holding power as blown stretch wrap.
- Has less memory and tear resistance.
- Blown Stretch Wrap: Also referred to as blown film, it is manufactured using the blown extrusion process. Blown stretch wrap offers the following advantages:
- Higher load and stretch capacity.
- Higher load and stretch capacity.
- Higher tear resistance, making it suitable for securing loads with sharp edges.
However, it has some disadvantages compared to cast stretch wrap:
- Higher cost due to the manufacturing process.
- Poor clarity due to crystallization in the manufacturing process.
- Noisier when unwound from rolls.
These are just two examples of stretch wrap types, but there may be other specialized versions available for specific needs and budgets.
Stretch Wrap and its Unique Characteristics
- Hand Stretch Wrap: This is ideal for smaller operations where manual wrapping is feasible. It’s user-friendly and doesn’t require any machinery. Often recommended this for businesses starting out or with lid packaging needs.
- Machine Stretch Wrap: Designed for more extensive operations, this type is intended for use with wrapping machines. It’s more efficient for wrapping multiple pallets and offers consistent tension.
- Pre-Stretched Wrap: This is a lighter, easier-to-apply option. It’s already stretched, requiring less effort to apply, and offers excellent load stability. Pre-Stretched Wrap is used effectively in fast-paced environments where time is of the essence.
- Vented Pallet Wrap: This type has small holes for better airflow, making it ideal for perishable goods. This is a game-changer for maintaining product quality during transit if you’re in the food or agriculture sector.
How is Stretch Wrap applied?
Manual Vs. Automatic Application
Manual wrapping is generally more suitable for smaller operations or irregularly shaped items. It gives you more control but can be labor-intensive. Automatic wrapping, on the other hand, is ideal for larger volumes. Machines can wrap pallets more quickly and uniformly.
Ultimately, the choice between manual and automatic largely depends on your specific needs and the scale of your operations.
Tips And Tricks for Efficient Application
- Corner Boards: Use corner boards for added protection and to maintain the shape of the pallet.
- Film Memory: Stretch the film slightly to activate its “memory,” which helps it cling better.
- Top Sheets: Consider using top sheets for added protection against dust and rain.
- Layering: Double wrap fragile items for extra security.
Why is Stretch Wrap better than other Packaging Materials?
Comparison Between Stretch Wrap and Other Packaging Materials
With years of experience, Wills Transfer have had the opportunity to work with a variety of materials, including shrink wrap, strapping, and packing tape. Here’s how stretch wrap compares:
- Shrink Wrap: Unlike stretch wrap, shrink wrap shrinks when heated. It’s great for bundling products but lacks the tensile strength that stretch wrap offers for heavier loads.
- Strapping: While strapping is strong, it doesn’t offer the same level of protection against moisture and dust. It’s also more time-consuming to apply.
- Packing Tape: Tape is useful for sealing boxes but isn’t designed to secure loads on a pallet. It lacks the elasticity and strength that stretch wrap provides.
What are the Benefits of Stretch Wrapping?
Stretch wrapping offers several advantages, including:
- Stability and Security: It helps to secure items on pallets, preventing them from shifting or falling during transportation or storage.
- Protection: Stretch wrap provides a protective layer that helps to safeguard items from dust, moisture, and other environmental factors.
- Damage Reduction: By keeping items tightly bound together, stretch wrap minimizes the risk of damage caused by impact, vibration, or friction.
- Cost-Effective: It is an affordable packaging solution that can help reduce the overall cost of shipping and storage.
- Versatility: Stretch wrap can be used for various types of products and pallet loads, making it a versatile packaging material.
- Efficiency: It can be applied manually or with machines, allowing for efficient and consistent wrapping.
Versatility Of Stretch Wrap in Different Applications
Whether you’re shipping electronics, food items, or industrial equipment, stretch wrap can be tailored to meet your specific needs. It’s compatible with various types of machinery and can be applied manually, making it a flexible solution for businesses of all sizes.
Importance To Shipping and Packaging Industries
In the shipping and packaging sectors, the importance of stretch wrap cannot be overstated. It is the final layer of protection for goods, safeguarding them from dust, moisture, and potential damage during transit. The material’s elasticity allows it to tightly secure items, reducing the risk of load shift—a common cause of accidents and product damage. Because of this, stretch wrap consistently proves to be a reliable choice for ensuring goods’ safe and efficient transport.
Why Choose Wills Transfer for Your Stretch Wrapping Services?
For more information about our stretch wrapping services, call Wills Transfer at 613-704-7549 or contact us here.
Let us provide you with the best stretch wrapping services in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec.
- Stretch wrap is an affordable alternative to other methods of expensive packaging. In addition, stretch wrap helps keep products close together, saving space.
- Stretch wrap helps keep the integrity of your products, protecting them from environmental factors like dust.
- Stretch wrapping will increase the security of your package by keeping its contents firmly in place while still allowing you to view the items under the film along with product codes, SKU’s, and Pallet ID’s.
- Shrink wrap is an affordable alternative to other methods of expensive packaging. In addition, shrink wrap helps keep products close together, saving you space.
- Shrink wrap helps keep the integrity of your products, protecting them from getting wet and from other environmental factors like dust.
- Shrink wrap can be customizable and used to enhance your brand image by utilizing different colours or logos that represent your brand.
- You can use shrink wrap to comply with Health Canada regulations for food and beverage packaging to ensure their freshness and quality.
- Shrink wrap is a flexible option for packaging, allowing you to securely package unique or odd-shaped products. Our shrink wrapping service can accommodate any range of product dimensions and sizes.
- Our high-quality shrink wrapping will increase the security of your package by completely keeping its contents firmly in place while still allowing you to view the items within the package.