eCommerce Inventory Management: Self-Storage vs. Warehousing Services
As an eCommerce business, one of the many challenges that you face is determining where you’re going to store all your inventory. You may have been able to store your inventory at home when you first launched your business, but now that it’s growing, you have to consider other options. So, you need to know about self-storage vs. warehousing services.
In this article, we’ll explain:
- The pros and cons of using self-storage for your inventory.
- The pros and cons of using a warehouse to store your inventory.
- Why you should choose a company that offers warehousing services to store your inventory.
At Wills Transfer, we offer top-quality warehousing in several convenient locations and a variety of warehousing services.
The Pros and Cons of Using Self-storage for Your Inventory
The main pros of using self-storage for your inventory are that self-storage can be less expensive than renting warehouse space, it’s easy to access (if the self-storage location is close to your home or business), and you have complete control over how your inventory is stored.
If you are starting with your eCommerce business, then self-storage may be a viable short-term option.
However, the cons of using self-storage will outweigh the pros as soon as your eCommerce business starts to grow. Your self-storage unit isn’t set up to handle a sudden influx of inventory, and it can be very time-consuming to have to dig through the unit every time you need to find the items you want to ship.
In addition, you have no access to options like warehousing services, so you are responsible for handling all aspects of fulfilling your customers’ orders.
The Pros and Cons of Using a Warehouse to Store Your Inventory
When you choose to store your inventory in a warehouse, there are many advantages over using a self-storage unit, including the following:
- Warehouses offer more space than self-storage units, and you can scale the amount of space you rent up or down as necessary.
- Warehouses have staff that monitors them and security systems to protect them.
- Warehouses are designed to store inventory over long periods properly.
- Warehouses are often located near transportation hubs, making it faster and easier to ship your goods.
The only con of using a warehouse to store your inventory instead of self-storage is that it can be more expensive. However, it’s well worth the investment if you want to scale your business and ultimately help your bottom line.
Why You Should Choose a Company That Offers Warehousing Services to Store Your Inventory
We’ve explained some of the many benefits of storing your inventory in a warehouse instead of using self-storage.
To benefit even more from using a warehouse, you should opt to work with a company that offers warehousing services.
Warehousing companies can offer a variety of warehousing services, including third-party logistics (3PL). These 3PL services take care of everything associated with order fulfillment—all the steps involved in picking, packing, and shipping out an order.
There are many great benefits of having access to warehousing services, such as:
- You’ll have access to inventory tracking and management tools.
- Warehousing companies with fulfillment centres can help you ship faster and save money on shipping costs!
- The warehousing company takes care of all the tasks involved with storing your inventory and sending out packages.
- Your packages will get out to customers faster, as warehouses tend to be located near highways and railroads.
What can Wills Transfer offer me if I’m interested in warehousing services?
Wills Transfer has a lot to offer if you’re interested in warehousing services We provide all of the following:
- Over 850,000 feet of warehousing space. We offer racking, bulk storage, refrigerated, and raw material storage.
- On-site staff that is controlled-goods certified and has their PIP certification.
- Local delivery, flatbed delivery, and shunting services.
- A warehousing management system that enables us to manage multiple supply chains expertly.
- Inventory management, including direct online access for our clients to view the status of their inventory.
- Order fulfillment services, including pick and pack, asset tagging and package content sorting, and kitting services.
- Distribution services.
By working with us to store your inventory, you have access to receiving, storage, and distribution services all at the same time.
We can provide you with the freedom and flexibility to scale your inventory and 3PL services up and down as necessary and save you the time and hassle of managing your inventory.
At Wills Transfer, we’re here to provide you with all of the 3PL services you need, so you can put all of your focus on helping your business grow.
You Deserve the Best when it Comes to Inventory Management
Creating a successful eCommerce business isn’t easy, and you should congratulate yourself for all of your hard work!
To help your business continue to satisfy your clients and enable your business to grow, you should make sure that you have access to the best options when it comes to inventory management.
At Wills Transfer, we can help you make the most of your business. You can select to store your goods at any of our warehouses and use our 3PL services to ensure that your packages are expertly packed and that your customers get their packages on time!